Monday, July 14, 2014

Golden Oldies

I had a blast going through my old Celebrity Roundup columns and reminiscing in my Canada Day blog. So once again I tackled my trusty, dusty archives (an ancient filing cabinet) wading through several years of articles featuring some notable Baby Boomers and Golden Agers to share with you. This sampling of my work appeared in Today's Seniors, and the Toronto Star Newspaper:




 

In her heyday, pre-political scandals, Pamela Wallen was one of Canada's most popular newscasters. It was exciting for me to visit her at the CBC, interviewing her in her office, then standing off-camera in the studio, watching her relay the evening news to her viewers.






Over the years I've been priviledged to meet some folks who are the very best at what they do. The late Louis Jannetta was one such person. As the beloved Maitre'D at the uber-glam Imperial Room of the Royal York hotel for almost 50 years, A-list celebrities and regular patrons alike were charmed by his natural charisma and genuine warmth. I was blessed to call him my friend. Not one to consider retiring and sit on his well-earned laurels, he eventually opened his own top-notch restaurant, Louis Jannetta's Place. My husband and I were thrilled to hold our wedding reception there. Since he knew my father had passed away years before, Louis sweetly surprised me by asking me to dance the Father-Daughter dance with him. His real daughter, also a dear pal, the lovely and talented singer Patti Jannetta-Baker serenaded us. It was a magical, unforgettable moment I will always treasure.















One of my favourite assignments came about when I was invited to spend a few hours with Canada's Master Athletes. These elder statesmen and stateswomen of Sport defy assumptions about what an older person can and cannot do - if blessed with good discipline, and a lifelong dedication to staying active. As a life-long couch-potato, I was in awe of these Canadian medalists.










For this journalist, film festivals are exhilarating and exhausting. Star-studded opportunities to get those elusive interviews with celebs like Alan Rickman. And then there are the premieres and the parties... As I said, exhausting and exhilarating!






It's always an honour to interview legendary musicians, like  Mart Kenney, King of the Big Bands.







Pardon a really horrid pun, but meeting a genuine war hero was da bomb! Quite a few years after the article came out, I was contacted by a relative of Maj. Donovan's who wanted some information. I doubt I was much help, but it was kind of cool that he even thought I might be of some assistance because of my little article.










This article is one of a few I've done for the Toronto Star. Which I quite consider a feather in my cap as I grew up reading the (now defunct) Montreal Star. Most memorable and exciting for me about this one, was doing a telephone interview with one of my media heroes - the late Dick Smythe. I loved watching him daily on Global TV chatting about the latest news in Entertainment. Years later, I saw him in the audience at the opening night of a play at a dinner-theatre, but was hesitant to go over and introduce myself as I didn't want to bother him. I have to admit, I regret that missed opportunity to meet him and thank him in person for the interview.






It's been a trip revisiting these treasured archived articles with you. I hope you enjoyed them. Cheerio for now.

1 comment: