Monday, October 6, 2014

Yukking It Up (Part 1) With Singing Aliens, Political Parodies, Murder Mysteries & Therapeutic Clowns




It’s definitely time to play catch-up since August!



*September*

My Good News Toronto Cover Story
http://www.goodnewstoronto.ca/2014/09/dizzy-with-laughter-kathleen-le-roux-therapeutic-clown-artist/

 Kathleen LeRoux as Dizzy & Heather Annis as Peachy with a Long Term Care Resident. Photo Credit: Alex Nirta

Professional clown artist Kathleen LeRoux and her team bring joy to vulnerable people of all ages. I first met her last year, at an Ontario Family Councils Conference, where she was a featured speaker. My friend Lucia and I couldn't resist the temptation to get silly with her as she strummed her ukelele. Kathleen's one of my personal heroes. I mean who wouldn't think the world of someone who spends their days making people 'forget their troubles and c'mon... get happy'? (Feel free to hum along, although it helps if you have a ukelele.)

Left: Kathleen LeRoux,Therapeutic Clown Artist. Centre: Lucia Rocha, Family Council Chair, Kensington Gardens Long Term Care Home. Right: Yours truly, Vice Chair, Information and Education, Kensington Gardens Family Council  



My Wisdom of the Ages Column

http://www.goodnewstoronto.ca/2014/08/oh-my-aching-everything/


Actor Danny Wengle stars in Speakeasy at Mysteriously Yours Dinner Theatre, Comedian Luba Goy of the Royal Canadian Air Farce, and Yuk Yuk's Grand Poobah Mark Breslin make a living dispensing hilarity in one form or another. They each revealed how they cope with the “joys” of the aging process.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



*October*

My Good News Toronto Cover Story




A mini-version of my personal story, caring and advocating for my late mother when she developed Dementia.The original version, based on my speech as a Facilitator for the Ontario Family Councils Program can be found here: 




 My Wisdom of the Ages Column


Avonlea Actress Mag Ruffman, Elaine Loring best known as an Entertainment reporter for Global TV for 18 years, her sister Carrie Loring, a soprano with the Tafelmusik choir, and ex-wrestler Ricky (Soulman) Johnson share their experiences caring for their beloved mothers in their twilight years.










Mysteriously Yours Dinner Theatre, featuring Speakeasy's DANNY WENGLE









  With Danny
I recently enjoyed a night out at the Mysteriously Yours Dinner Theatre, and I spoke with Danny Wengle, who co-wrote and performs in their latest rollicking farce SPEAKEASY.

http://www.mysteriouslyyours.com/



At Mysteriously Yours murder mysteries, there are many fun elements at play: Pre-show, Danny and the talented cast interact in character with the audience, and then post-show the audience is invited to join them for photo ops.Those celebrating an event are included IN the show, and everyone tries to figure out whodunnit, which triples the fun. Don't forget to let the box-office know if you are celebrating a birthday, an engagement, or an anniversary, etc, when booking your tickets.

Fellow cat lover, Air Farce's Luba Goy and her friend Dorothy, joined me and my pal Robert one Saturday evening in August. A lovely dinner, a carafe of wine, and a wonderfully wacky show was enjoyed by all! We were treated royally by the entire staff, especially Leslie our server who was topnotch, friendly, and utterly unflappable.



Centre/Front: My friend Robert. Second row: Actor/writer Danny Wengle, me, Luba Goy, her pal Dorothy, and the talented cast of Speakeasy.
 
With pals & tablemates, Dorothy, Bob, Luba

My husband Vince and I are big fans of the Mysteriously Yours venue, and over the years we've celebrated a few birthdays and annniversaries there. Fine dining and an always reliable side-splitting romp of a show, make for a winning combination. Unfortunately he had a cold that night and was unable to join us.

We also find it a big plus that they are centrally located midtown. (I remember when it was the venerable Limelight theatre.) Speakeasy is slated to run at least until the end of the year.

Previously, one of my favourite Mysteriously Yours shows was UPTOWN ABBEY, a brilliantly funny parody of the PBS program Downton Abbey. 
With the Mysteriously Yours cast of the hilarious Uptown Abbey. To the left of me: Danny Wengle (as Detective Carrumbo), and to the right of me my hubby Vinnie. Top right: Danny cracking me up after the show. Bottom right:  Danny in Drag-costume visits our table. Bottom left: During the show Danny tells the audience that Statler the Muppet (a/k/a. Vinnie) is in the house!



When I told Danny that Vinnie and I thought his Detective 'Carrumbo' in Uptown Abbey was a spot-on portrayal of the late Peter Falk's Columbo. He surprised me with this amazing annecdote:

“When I was a kid, my grandfather and all my uncles were in the movie business in distribution. My grandfather worked for Columbia Pictures, one uncle for Warner Bros, and another uncle for 20th Century Fox. So when I was a kid, they'd sneak me into all the pictures. One of my first memories was meeting The Three Stooges when I was about 4 or 5 years old. Anyhow, around 10 or 11, I became obsessed with Peter Falk." 

Danny said, "It was just before Columbo came out. Id seen his films The Great Race, and A Pocket Full of Miracles. I created a scrapbook when I was 11 years old. And then he was on Broadway in The Prisoner of Second Avenue, with Lee Grant, in the Neil Simon play. So I convinced my parents that we had to go down there to see him on Broadway. 

We left the book Id made backstage for him to sign. The next night, after seeing my first Broadway show, with him in it, we went to pick up the book. They said no, we had to go with them across the stage to his dressing room. We waited half an hour and when he showed up he was so wonderful to me. He corresponded with me for months. I wrote him, and he sent me back very encouraging letters. 

"About 30 years later, he was in another play in New York City, an Arthur Miller play, Mr. Peters Connection. I found this out from a friend of mine who knew the stage manager. So I said I had to go back down there. I sent him a letter and he invited me backstage where he told me the entire story from 30 years before, about the time when I came backstage with the book, and about the letters. Oh my gosh, he was so terrific to me.” Danny said.


Although Danny enjoyed doing Peter Falks voice, he refused to do it during the years Falk was sick with dementia, and until at least a couple of years after his death. Nowadays, he says, "It's a real joy to do that after all those years. It's a chance for me to get back in touch with that 12 year old kid."





Thanks Danny for sharing your story about Peter Falk, and these wonderful photos! 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


End part 1. 

No comments:

Post a Comment